Sunday, April 27, 2008

So I Think I Have Found It!


Found what you ask? Why the school that I would like to study with for my Bachelor's in Foreign Language.

What foreign language you ask?

Why, Spanish!

And no, it's not just because I adore Mexican (or Hispanic, Latino, etc.) men! No, no. It is because ever since...well I'll tell you the quick story of how my love of Spanish came to be:

"It was a cold winter night..."

Just kidding!

Actually, I have no idea what the weather was during that time, but I was studying French in junior high. My parents had come up with the idea of moving to a different city, about a 1/2 hour away, and of course I was completely against it. I mean after all, how could they do this to ME?! Their daughter!

So anyways, we ended up moving after nights of crying myself to sleep and screaming back and forth/arguing about EVERYTHING with my parents. Okay, so maybe I wasn't that bad, but I remember I was devastated.

Of course, if I knew what I knew now heck I would have been the first one in the moving truck ROFL!

Okay so we got all settled in our new home and my mom and I went to check out my new school. I did really great and got all A's in my French class in my last school and had planned on taking French at my new school. No ifs, ands, or buts.

Bad news: Turns out, this new school of mine did not have French. I could not believe my luck!

I hated the move even more.

Well, so I went along with the new guidance counselor, remember those everyone? :) She suggested Spanish. What could I use THAT for?

(As close-minded as this will sound, I didn't even know what a Hispanic, Latino or Mexican was! I had not ever seen any that lived in NY where I came from until I moved to NC.)

So anyways, I ended up taking Spanish. And Spanish 2 and 3...when I moved to NC my Spanish wasn't advanced enough so I had to go down one level, but that's a different story in itself.

On my first day of Spanish class in that new school, I was very hesitant about whether I would like it or not.

Turns out Spanish came to me naturally. Turns out it was my passion. (still is, even though it can frustrate me when I don't get the words right/understand what people are saying!) But practice makes perfect.

When I moved to NC, I became friends with this nice girl from Mexico and I would visit her house a few times on the weekends and she and I would practice my Spanish and then I would teach her parents English a bit.

Anyways, wouldn't you know she asked me a couple of times: "Are you part Spanish?" and "Are you sure?" She really thought my accent was good and sounded just like a native.

Hey, now that was a compliment. :)

So now, that story brings me to the reason for this blog post. I have always wanted to major in Spanish and get either my Bachelor's, Master's or Doctorate.

I am not 100% sure on the school yet, but I have found one. 3-4 years it will take to get my Bachelor's in Foreign Language. Then si Dios quiere I will transfer to another college and get my Doctorate.

The doctorate plan is really up in the air right now, but going back to college is not. I really want to do this!

I will keep you all updated!

:o)

2 comments:

LaGringaMasBella said...

French? lol My mom took it in highschool too. She doesn't speak it fluently but if we had a french terrorist ... she might be able to talk him out of his plan.

It's funny that you say you feel like spanish came to you naturally; that's the way I feel.

The only thing you didn't mention is what type of job you would like to pursue after college. Do share!

-Lisa :-)

chicadedios25 said...

I feel like Spanish came naturally,too...and after I lived in Mexico - I now have hispanics who tell me I am CHICANA all the time. They can even say - you are from Zacatecas right because I picked up on the accent so heavily in just the short time I lived there.

I had my life mapped out-I was going to go to college and get my bachelors degree and teach English as a Second Language in a foreign country...

somewhere down the line I got my assosciate of arts and lost interest in college after that.

Now I work in the Emergency room in town as a admissions clerk...and live with a Honduran...never thought it would go like this but here I am...